Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Today we are gonna be talking about Powerpoint. Powerpoint, Powerpoint, Powerpoint....

For those of you that aren't office fanatics this video is what my title if referring to! :)

Last week in Innovative Activities we had group presentations on how to make many common activities more adaptive. The first group informed us about adaptive boating, including everything from Kayaking to sailing. The coolest adaptation I saw was the the Puff-Sip kayak that allows some one with quadriplegia to control the paddle with different breath combination on a specialized tube. We had the opportunity to hop in our kayak/canoe/table with a partner and practice our different strokes as we went "Just around the river bend!"

The second group discussed therapeutic horse riding. I learned that there are way more physical and mental benefits than I thought. I learned that it can be very helpful when working with amputees such as wounded warriors to help them relearn how to walk since the gait and pelvic movements of a horse are nearly identical to ours. I also gained more insight into the social interaction benefits of children with autism.

The third group discussed different adaptions for arts and crafts. I was aware of many of the items that were available but what really interested me was the number of great artists with disabilities. My favorite was the man who started doing pottery after he became completely blind and had never seen anything that he had made. Another was a young man who leaned the to paint by learning the differences in color of the paint by feeling their consistency.

The final group of the night talked about how you can adapt high ropes courses to accommodate people with disabilities. With how hard it seemed for me to be able to do high ropes, I was amazed with how easily and avoidably a course could be adapted with just a couple sets of pulleys.

Be ready for next week to hear all about my group presentation!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment